March 11, 2013

Musical memories of the unknown Rika

The other day, as Ι was going back home, I saw two Asian Indians walking hurriedly loaded with stuff. They headed to the bins where they left chairs, dressers, clothes and, among all these, a large collection of old music records.

I picked up as many as possible and took them home.

Some were still in the original plastic package.

Although I enjoyed scratching upon my new belongings, I couldn't stop thinking of the whole picture: it seemed like someone passed away and his whole life was thrown in garbage. Who was the owner of these records?

As I was cleaning them up I found her name. It was Rika and some night, back in 1964, she attended an Edmundo Ros concert, in London. She then waited to have her records signed by Ros.

Rika loved classical, quality greek and latin music, world wide popular singers of her time like Patty Page and Joan Baez but above all she loved collecting movie soundtracks.

I look closer on price stickers still stuck on covers and see that many records were not bought in Greece. I seems that Rika also traveled to Paris, Italy, Germany and the USA. At that time, only few Greeks left country at least once in their lifetime since traveling abroad was costly. So, I guess that she was a wealthy girl that could afford traveling, attending concerts in London and buying records.

It also seems that her favorite record was the soundtrack of "Un homme et une femme" since it's the most used one.

I don't know what her favorite song was and what it might have meant to her. It could be love or love an'loss or just a beautiful walk on the streets of Paris.
In any case, as I'm listening to "Plus fort que nous", I can only imagine Rika being happy to know that all these musical memories are in good hands.

1 comment:

  1. Do you mind if I quote a few of your blog posts as long as I provide credit and sources returning to your
    webpage: http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=6651409210564258234&postID=7516873988812972938.
    Please let me know if this is ok with you. Thankyou

    my web-site ... posgraduacao.faccat.br

    ReplyDelete