March 16, 2013

At the Fish Market of Athens

There's only one more day left until the Clean Monday and the Fish Market is crowded.

Clean Monday or else Pure Monday or Ash Monday is the first day of the Greek Orthodox Easter and lent begins the best way.

Prices are about 40% cheaper than last year but still everyone's very thoughtful before buying anything.

" They come, look around and go. They don't buy anything" says Vaggelis.

" People have not money. Look at their hands. Most of them hold nothing or just a little bag".

" I don't know where they're taking us but I trust none of them(:politicians). I see no light. Just chaos".

As I go on looking around someone calls me:
"Hey, you! Take a picture of me too".

I turn around and face Tania. This girl is so smiling and friendly. She comes from Bulgaria but grew up in Athens.

She's 21 years old and quite recently, she managed to get a job at the central fish market of Athens. She's very excited about that.

"I feel so very lucky to have a job now days" she says.

" I've only been working for less than six months and I love it though it's hard. I work over 12 hours per day starting at five in the morning but I don't care. It's hard for everyone and for some people it's even worse".

"Things have turned more difficult during the last years but I believe in Greece.
It may take some time but we'll finally make it. Life will eventually go back to normal".

The fish market is on 42, Athena's street.

It's part of the municipal market which was built in 1886 and currently, hosts over 70 food businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment