March 14, 2013

Students protest against the "Athena" project

Everything's getting ready for one more protest march that's about to start in Athens.

This time it's university students who protest against governmental policy especially on education.

"They want to ruin public education as they destroy the rest of the country. I have not future because of them and it's getting worse. We have to stop them."
Paulina, 24, philosophy student.

In order to save money, government plans to abolish and merge a significant number of university departments and tertiary education institutions, together with an anticipated reduction in the number of new entrants.

"MERGE THE HOUSE TO PRISON"

is written on the banner Eutichia and Nicholetta hold. They are both 20 years old and study literature.

"What's going on in Greece is a crime" says Eutichia (left). "Government is ruining the middle and labor class. They want to turn public education into private. That's the whole deal."

"Yeah! that's the deal" agrees Nicholetta. "Can you imagine yourself moving to another city all by sudden? Who can afford that right now? Everything has been planned on foot. The "Athena" project is not going to save money to anyone. Not even to the government. It's not a solution but cost" she says.

At the same time, Greek students protest against racism and the decision of greek government not to give the greek nationality to 200.000 children of immigrants that were born in Greece.

"This is insane. Government is flirting the neo-nazis of Golden Dawn"
Nickos, 26 member of www.antiracismfascism.org

" I hate seeing the rate of fascism rising in Greece. It's a result of the recession

and we've got to be very careful 'cause nothing's going to change for best in economy" says Katerina as she's holding tight her best friend Grace.

Grace was born in Greece 18 years ago by Nigerian parents. "I, myself never faced rascism" she says.

Downtown people don't even look at me. It's lots of us in Athens and people are used. But even in other places I've been I think Greeks were looking at me curiously and not with malice."

"I love Athens I'd love to keep on living here after graduating university. I study theology but I want to be a war reporter. I don't think I can make it in Greece. There are no jobs here so unfortunately I will have to get a job abroad".

The rate of unemployment in Greece is 27%. It's never been higher since World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment