May 16, 2013

The young and the crisis

I was walking on the pedestrian precinct of Massalias Street when...

passing by the Athens University School of Law, I met Paris and Nicky. They're both Law students and today is one more hard day of the spring semester exams.

"That was the second year in University" says Paris. " Until my graduation Greece will either totally collapse or do better. I want to be optimistic but I'm already thinking about working abroad. It's a difficult decision but considering to the current situation I think it's a monodrome".

Nicky is more optimistic. She's glad that, at least, 'till now Athens University is well-organized especially, as she explains, in comparison to other Universities where students have to buy themselves even the paper-sheets. "It is heard that in 2014 we're going to have to pay for the books. That worries me but I'm still optimistic. I don't think about working in another country although I don't know anyone who could get me a job in Athens. I'm a believer though and I think that all it takes is patience and hard work and strong will" says Nicky.

Ileana is another student I talked with today. She is 20 years old and studies Computer Science and Telecommunications in the University of Athens.

" I definitely don't want to leave Greece. I want to live and work here but if I don't find a job I will have to. What else can I do? I think working abroad is something all young people think about now days".

Economic crisis has changed everything. I don't pay for my living yet, my parents do but it's difficult for them too. I choose to do things that I don't have to pay for" she says.

" I'm an optimist though. I believe that by the time I graduate everything's going to be fine again. Don't you think so? "

What I think so is so distant from what I hope so. By now thousands Greek scientists live and work abroad while more than 60% of Greek young people think seriously about finding a job in another country.

No comments:

Post a Comment