May 10, 2013

Athens Delicious!

While many things collapse in Athens , some others still stand up to the financial crisis, constantly reminding us that life can always be delicious!

The "Aegean" pastry shop stands in the heart of Athens, close to Omonia square, since 1926. It is located in the basement of an 1890's building on Panepistimiou street and it's very well-known for its loukoumades.

Despite the time passed, in this pastry shop nothing's changed in the good old family recipe passed from generation to generation .

Loukoumades are Greek- style doughnuts and have a very long history that goes back to ancient Greece. At that time loukoumades were offered to the winners of Olympic Games during a glamorous ceremony.

Today, people from all over the world visit the "Aegean" pastry shop just to take a bite of this little-big-pleasure of life in Athens.

Loukoumades are made using first flour and salt. The mixture is then shaped and put in warm water 'till it gets double-sized. It is then ready to be fried in very hot oil.

As soon as they are ready they get this beautiful golden appearance.

Now, they can be dressed with sugar, cheese or chocolate.

Debby and Henry tried the traditional Greek loukoumades which are dressed with honey, nuts and cinnamon. "It was delicious! I've never tried it before. We wanted to try real Greek food in a local Greek place" Debby told me.

They both come from California, USA and of course they've heard about the Greek economic recession.

"It was on the news but I have no idea what's going on. I wouldn't know if I hadn't heard before about it. We've been having so much fun in Athens. It's so nice" said Henry before he took another bite of his loukouma.

But I guess it's not always what it seems.

"We face so many difficulties. Strikes, demonstrations, violent rioting make each day even harder. People come, take a smell and go or we see four-five people sharing just one plate of loukoumades" says to me George Fillas , the young owner of the "Aegean" pastry shop.

George studied Economics and Business Administration in the Economic University of Athens. He took over the family business after graduating a few years ago. "I never thought to do something else. I remember being here as long as I remember myself. I'm the third generation of the family business. I can't even imagine my life without the "Aegean".

I left having the taste of honey and a big smile on my lips. Though George would never tell me the mystic recipe of his loukoumades, he had just revealed half of it. In this part all it needs is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment