May 02, 2013

The Poet- Sandalmaker

Do you know what's the Greek thing that connects Prince Charles with Sarah- Jessica Parker and Maria Callas with John Lennon and Jeremy Irons?

The window and walls of the "Poet-Sandalmaker" shop are tiled with autographed headshots of all famous people who visited the store since it opened in early 1950s.

In fact, the Poet-Sandalmaker, as everyone called Stavros Melissinos, was the first to introduce ancient Greek sandals as everyday footwear. By then sandals were only used in the theater and cinema.

Six decades later Stavros Melissinos' son continues the family tradition. His artistic touch is everywhere.

Pantelis Melissinos lived and worked in New York after he got a BA and MA degree in Fine Arts from Parson's. "I couldn't bear the thought though that someday all that would be gone along with my father and I decided to come back" he says as he's comfortably seated in an armchair he made recently.

"Everything's full of memories here. I grew up in my father's workshop.

I was a little boy when the Beatles came for the first time. Girls were screaming and pushing on the window" he remembers.

" These are Jackie Onassis' favorite sandals. My father named them after her ".

Sandals hang all over the place like bunches of grapes. They are handmade of high quality leather.

Pantelis learned the art of sandalmaking by the side of his father. Today he is one of the last sandalmakers in Greece.

"Things have changed dramatically during the last couple of years. Though it is more difficult now, I haven't regretted coming back. I believe crisis can be an opportunity for Greeks. We may become better people" he says.

He's looks so calm. In fact he's the first businessman I've met lately that does not complain about the situation. " I'm happy with what I do and to me that's enough " he explains.

As I was listening to him I wished I thought like that but that didn't last enough. While scratching upon the dozens of different sandal styles I got face to face with my real me. I just couldn't choose between the sandals below. The ones above are named by the ancient Greek philosopher Platon.

"The Poet-Sandalmaker" is located in Psyri which is right next to Monastiraki and it's definitely the best place in Athens to get a pair of handmade sandals. Prices start from 13 euros and go up to 30 depending on the style and size. You can check out more on his website: www.melissinos-art.com

No comments:

Post a Comment