April 04, 2013

Political suicide in Syntagma: a year after

It was nine o'clock in the morning when all people who happened to be at Syntagma Square froze. All by sudden, an old man took a gun of his jacket and shouted:
"I'm leaving so as not to leave my children in debt.
I'm not killing myself, they kill me".
He then turned the gun to his head and shot himself to death.

Today, completed one year of the death of the 77-year-old retired pharmacist, Dimitris Christoulas and lots of people stopped by the spot he left his last breath.

"Suicides, poverty, misery, exploitation, fascism.
And you?
Silence?"

In his suicide note he wrote:

" The Tsolakoglou* occupation government deprived me from any chance of survivalMy survival was supported on a decent pension for which I contributed (without any support from the state) for 35 years.
As I am in an age that does not allow for individual active resistance (without excluding the fact that if one Greek was found to take the Kalashnikov, the second would be me), I do not find any other solution than to give a decent end to my life before starting to search in the garbage to find food.
I believe that, some day, the young people without future will take the arms and will hang upside down the national traitors in Syntagma Square as the Italians did in 1945 to Mussolini".

*Georgios Tsolakoglou was the prime minister under the axis in 1941

No comments:

Post a Comment