August 07, 2013

Eutychia means happiness

Today it's so hot in Athens. I just got back home and it feels like heaven laying under the air conditioner. But I guess this summer my air conditioner is going to be my best friend!
Last summer the 70% of Greeks did not go on vacation. This year even more people are expected to go nowhere due to the lack of money and fluid economic situation.
In 2007 the percentage of those who could not afford going on vacation was 45%.
For some people though things are even worse. One million Greeks can't pay their electricity bill while, at the same time, more and more look for food in the garbage.
In 2009-2012 homeless raised by 25%. Walking on the streets of Athens is not the same anymore.
Eutychia lives on the streets since last winter. In Greek Eutychia means happiness but that's a feeling she's long forgotten. She has no family or close friends. She feels hopeless. She didn't stop crying the entire time talking.
" I've worked all of my life and ended up like this. I have to wait for my pension to be approved for almost one more year . And 'till then what? Am I going to be alive in one year? Do you have any idea how dangerous is it to live on the street? Do politicians care about us? What have I done to deserve that?" she wonders.
It is estimated that 20.000 homeless live in Greece. Most of them live on the streets of Athens and Piraeus. Things though are expected to get worse since in the next six months public social spending will be cut by 18%.

No comments:

Post a Comment