July 16, 2013

Giorgos of Korae Square

The other day I saw Mr Giorgos again. He was in Korae Square, on the same corner I first saw him.
Actually, that time was a day after the violent riots of February 12/2012 and I interviewed him for the radio I work for.
"Athens was burning, everything around was on fire but I was not afraid" he told me. "In contrast, I was wishing for my end. What worse could possibly happen to me? I'm homeless since 1991. I come from Thessaloniki but to me home is all places I stand on."
"The other day I went to the police station to get an ID card and they asked for my electricity bill! I'm homeless. How can I possibly have an electricity bill? One does not exist without money. I don't exist".
Today, five months later, nothing's changed for him. Only this time I met him, it was under 43C.

No comments:

Post a Comment