February 16, 2013

The Athenian: Welcome!

Hello! My name is Magda and I've been living in Athens ever since I remember myself. This is long before the economic crisis hit Greece crashing down the good old -party- times. During the last five years Athens has been steadily turning into a city of fear and insecurity for now and after.

People lose their jobs and hope. Violence is growing from day to day. Down on the streets, right in the heart of the city, homeless mix up with illegal immigrants, drug dealers and junkies giving flesh and blood to what is called desperation. The talk of the town is about surviving the situation. No one feels secure anymore. No one is able to say what's going to be like within a few months. Things are changing so rapidly. I'm changing rapidly as I'm adjusting myself to the new continuously changing environment.

In this framework it is impossible to fit just one picture. Besides, this blog is about real life, real people, real talking. It's about the new reality in Athens through the eyes of a down- town girl who's missed shopping but not hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment